Road to Publication

Road to Publication

May 18, 2015

Why Don't I Ever Talk About This?

So I had this thought while scrolling through my post.... I talk a lot, a lot, a lot, about writers block. How do you guys even put up with it? I don't know.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about writing. Just writing. The love of writing. Not the hardships or complications that come with it.

I wish I could tell you all I have always wrote, but I haven't. When I was little I would write picture books one was about a horse who lost there mom and went for adventure in a cave.(I don't know where that is but its my earliest writing memory.

When I was in third grade I wrote a Harry Potter fanfic about my own adventures at Hogwarts. (I don't think I would ever share that, it's really quite embarrassing.)

Middle school I wrote about a girl who had a dream about some magic stone.

And out of all the stories that I did write I never finished them.

And as I got older I stopped. I remember staring at blank pieces of paper feeling the pull of something, I don't know how to describe it, it was just a pull to fill the page with words. But I could not find any words.

It wasn't until my senior year in High School that I found out that I was kinda good at this whole writing thing.

Ok, so in my contemporary lit class, my English teacher would give us quarterly projects. One was collage prep stuff, another was a term paper, (which also helped me think I was kinda good at writing) I can't remember the third one, but one of the last ones was doing little writing entries to go into a Senior Scrapbook. Each of the entries had to be about different subjects and then we had like five we could do of our choice.

One of the entries was a creative writing thingy and we had to think of a creative excuse of why we didn't do our homework.

What makes this title ironic is that I almost forgot to do this little assignment. High school me was not very responsible and she was extremely forgetful.

So I woke up the morning the assignment was due and started freaking out. I ended up writing it in 15 minutes before school started and I thought for sure that I was doomed. I thought it was the most boring stupidest story ever. I didn't think it was creative. I thought for sure that my teacher would know that I didn't take the time I was allowed (10 weeks) on it and that it looks like I only spent 15 minutes on it.

But I was wrong.

With that assignment she decided to do a contest in our class. She hand picked her favorites then read them in front of the clad. Mine being one of them.

She told the class to vote on them, and mine won. Mine was the best in the class. I of course was stunned, I thought it was a load of crap!!

Obviously it wasn't.

This changed my whole outlook on writing and I instantly fell in love with it. The only thing I ever thought I was good at was sports. But writing was something completely different. I could create something from nothing. It is the closest thing to magic I will ever get.

But a lot of credit does go to my English teacher, Mrs. M, because not only did she do those entries for the scrapbook but we also kept journals. She would play a song and while the song was playing she was give subjects to write about.

Describe your best day ever, who's your best friend, what about music do you like, stuff like that.

After high school I just started writing about everything and anything that came into my head. Then an idea popped into my head, why not write a book.

My first book idea was a dystopian, it was ok but I got like 65 pages into it and stopped because of my poor planning skills. It never got finished but I still have it filed. Maybe I'll go back to it someday.

Then it was the middle of the night and two words popped into my head. (Keeping them a secret until I am published) I got up and outlined and wrote the ideas for my current book.

I am currently working on what, my 3rd draft? But the others I hadn't finished all the way through because the story just didn't work. I have had to change a few things..... ok maybe a lot of things but I have hit the halfway point in my manuscript and I'm very excited. Things are flowing and the plot is coming along beautifully. I have fully bonded with my characters and my world is somewhat fully constructed, well as constructed as I need it for the first book.

I'm determined to finish a full draft by the end of the year!

But I wouldn't be as far as I am now if it wasn't for M.B. He was truly a God sent. M.B came into my life when I was just about to give up writing my book. I had no motivation, I had no fresh ideas, the plot was falling apart, it was a disaster. But then M.B came along.

M.B owns a physical therapy place in town and my ma and my brother G just started going there, (G had surgurey on his shoulder an ma has a bad back). Well one morning when ma went to her appointment, M.B was in the garage signing his books. Him and ma got talking so she raced home, ripped me out of bed, and drove me to M.B.

We talked for awhile and he agreed to do the editing for my book and give me one of his ISBN number...... for free!!! Also he has a friend who is going to do my cover! He taught me how to get organized because when you are writing a book it is the most important thing. And it really is.

I thank God everyday for sending M.B into my life, if our paths would not have crossed then I know for sure I would have given up writing. Which only makes me want to write more, because God placed this story in my heart and meeting that man only confirmed in me that this is what I'm supposed to be doing.

So, how are your writings coming along? What is your writing story? Have you always wrote? Or are you a late bloomer like me.

P.S when I find that homework excuse writing I will post it for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment